North County Fire is a special district and is funded entirely through property taxes and fees. As can be seen from the chart above, special Districts receive only 3.3% of the property taxes collected throughout California; these government agencies include fire protection, water, sewer, resource conservation, healthcare districts, and more. In fact, NCFPD is one of more than 60 special districts in San Diego County, alone, that depend on this extremely small annual revenue stream.
Approximately 80% of the cost to operate and maintain the present level of fire protection and emergency medical care services through the NCFPD comes from property taxes. The remaining 20% of revenues come from ambulance fees, cost recovery, developer impact fees, donations, grants, plan review and inspection fees, cell tower revenue, and annexation fees.
The NCFPD cannot assess sales tax, franchise tax, nor traffic impact fees; and any increase in revenues from property tax requires authorization from registered voters throughout the District’s service area.